Being mindful of our breath allows us to reduce glucose in the bloodstream, reduce cholesterol naturally, reduce blood pressure, anxiety, depression, and enhance performance and recovery times when doing physical exercises. Breathing is an emotional gift. Studies indicate that, over time, it can improve cardiovascular health and lung function, as it balances your heart rate. This in turn reduces your stress and balances hormone release, which we know is good for overall physical and mental health. There is also strong evidence that alternate nostril breathing improves brain function, memory, and focus.
Nadi breathing is also called Nadi Shodhana Pranayama. It has a long history in yoga and as a reliable way to achieve mental, physical, spiritual, intellectual, and emotional balance. Don't we all need that? Breathing is safe. It is a simple go-to as well when having a tough day.
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama (Alternate Nostril Breathing)
1.Find a comfortable chair, floor cushion, or mat. Sit up as straight as you can, but don’t strain. This is not a yoga pose.
2. Let your left hand rest gently in your lap. Bring your right hand up to your face.
3. Place the index and middle fingers of your raised hand lightly against the space between your eyebrows.
4. Close your eyes.
5. Take a nice, long, easy deep breath through your nose – inhale then exhale.
6. Close your right nostril with your thumb, and then inhale slowly through your left nostril.
7. At the top of your in-breath, close your left nostril with your ring finger, so that both of your nostrils are closed.
8. Pause for a moment.
9. Release your thumb from your right nostril and exhale (keep your left nostril closed).
10. Pause again for a moment.
11. Now reverse the process. Breathe in slowly and steadily through your right nostril. At the top of the in-breath, close up both nostrils again, pause, and then release your out-breath through your left nostril.
12. Pause again. Repeat the breathing process, alternating nostrils. Do this several times, slowly and mindfully.
I hope this has helped your day or evening, as health is your wealth!
SuperiorSelf channel on YouTube
@superiorself on Twitter and Instagram
Superior Self with KJ Landis on Facebook
Books sold everywhere!