We see the term super foods in lots of health websites and magazines. We are encouraged to eat super foods as often as possible in order to be really healthy and vital. What are they and why are they so important to optimum health?
Super foods are foods found in nature that need no processing in order to be consumed by humans. They have high amounts of nutrients and those nutrients are bioavailable to the body. That means they are easily absorbed for use, rather than passed through and eliminated. Usually we see varieties of fruits and vegetables mentioned as super foods. Super foods have been called functional foods. This means they have more nutrients packed in each bite and do more good for the body's systems than just provide the nutritional chemicals for survival. They help us thrive. Super foods blur the line between medicine and food.
Here is my list of what I think are super foods based upon years of research and my own observation of healing experiments with myself and the people I help on their journey to their superior selves:
Superior Self's Super Foods
- Pastured eggs are good for protein and fat source, their color, flavor, and texture are made distinctive by high amounts of Vitamin A, D, E, K2, B-12, folate, riboflavin, zinc, calcium, beta carotene, choline, and tons of omega 3 fatty acids, including DHA, EPA, ALA, and AA. A pasture-raised egg is a true super food.
- Kale is full of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, phytochemicals, and helps fight arthritis, cardiovascular disease, urinary infections, and asthma.
- Brussels Sprouts have a large amount of vitamin K and vitamin C, even more vitamin C than oranges!
- Berries of all sorts lower blood pressure and stress. They have antioxidants which protect the cells from free radicals.
- Cacao (raw) has good dietary fat that is absorb-able by the body, it improves memory, and gives you loads of energy. It also keeps you full for hours.
- Garlic is an antibacterial, antifungal, antiparasitic, antiprotozoan and an antiviral.
- Ghee is butter with the milk proteins removed. It helps with constipation and colon issues and the fat helps with memory loss.
- Olive oil improves blood pressure, inhibits oxidation of LDL cholesterol, increases protective HDL cholesterol, helps with longevity and a healthier aging process.
- Coconut oil is a medium change triglyceride food which assist us in moving fat through our body to be used as energy. This results in our body burning unneeded fat that is on the hips thighs and abdomen. Coconut oil helps with brain function, dementia, and lubricating the joints from inside the body. It also helps with the skin and hair being soft and supple. It has been shown to provide relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and other viruses, cancer, and bone strength. Coconut oil builds immunity.
This list is not comprehensive and I asked you to experiment with these foods and then do your own research and try lots of foods that are considered super foods. Try them for a few weeks and see if you feel better, and better, and better!
I want to hear from you!